Department of History
Government Degree College, Khumulwng, opened its chapter in 2007, introducing HISTORY as one of the major subjects. History General had been taught since the inception of the College until Honours course was introduced in 2012.
As an affiliate of Tripura University, the Department follows the Syllabi set up by Tripura University and delivers lecture on History Honours & General; along with Heritage & Culture of India ( HAC) as an inter disciplinary course in a regular basis.
The Department vesting all its efforts to inculcate the idea of understanding HISTORY in a practical manner.
Since the introduction of Semester system in 2014, the Department is visualising the improvement of quality results. Success rate in Honours subject is almost 100%.
The vision of the Department of History is better understanding of ‘ WHAT IS HISTORY ‘ & its interpretation in a simple manner, following the curriculum set up by Tripura University. Besides, stresses are given for inculcating human values, professionalism & scientific instillation to all sections of students including STs, SCs , OBCs & religious minorities with special focus on empowerment of female students.
The Department sets its Mission as follows:
- To uphold the spirit of HISTORY – as a narrator of civilization & path finder of future;
- To provide quality teaching in understanding the Syllabi;
- To provide & promote inclusive education to its students;
- To develop academic issues on regional/ national/ global needs;
- To encourage students for skill & self developing activities;
- To nurture social awareness & responsibilities among the students.
According to the Tripura Central University order, the department is entitled to offer B.A Honours and General degree courses in both odd and even semester system.
The department is permitted to intake 20 seats only for major and innumerable general seats. The intake capacity for major courses may increases with further notifications so as there may be limitations on the general courses.
- Any student passing H.S. (+2)/equivalent examination with at least 4 subjects including English from any recognized Board/Council will be eligible for admission to the 1st Semester of the B.A. (Honours/General) programme, subject to the availability of seats.
- No student will be allowed for admission in the 1st Semester course of studies after a lapse of 05(five) years from the year of passing of the previous qualifying examination.
- A candidate opting for Honours in any subject must have to obtain (a) 40% marks in aggregate and 45% marks in the subject in which she/he seeks Honours. OR (b) 35% in aggregate and 50% in the concerned subject in the H.S. (+2) examination. However selection of the student will depend on the availability of seats and their position in order of merit (based on aggregate of total marks obtained plus preferred subject for Honours)
- Any one securing at least 50% marks in aggregate will be eligible for taking Honours in a subject which she/he did not study in H.S. (+2) or equivalent examination, subject to restriction of combination as per university rules.
- A candidate who appeared but could not obtain pass marks in a particular subject in the H.S. (+2) examination will not be allowed to take that subject as an elective or Honours subject in the Degree Course. Honours will not be offered in a subject in which the candidate passed in Compartmental Exam.
- No student will be allowed to pursue more than one regular programmes simultaneously offered by Tripura University.
- A student will have to apply for University Registration in prescribed form within 30 days from last date of admission.
- Reservation for SC/ST/PWD (with 40% and above disability) will be governed by the State Govt. reservation policy. i.e., 31% seats reserved for ST, 17% for SC and 3% for PWD.
The candidate who has passed in the previous years will not be given priority in merit list and will be as per norms.
Name of Faculty
1.smt. Dipanwita Dasgupta
Economic History of Modern India
2.Mr. Satyajit Roy
Post Graduate Teacher
M.A., M. Phil
Modern Indian History
3.Mr. Mithun Das
Modern Indian History