The Department of English started from the beginning of the College with the hope of flourishing the knowledge of English around the neighboring localities. At first there were only five students with two faculty members. Both honours and pass courses are taught in the college.
The art of presentation mirrors a person’s inner quality and languages build that quality. The vision of the department is to enhance the quality and to make the student a complete person. English as an international language is to make students capable and fit for all situations.u
The main mission is to focus on the strength and possibilities of the students by manifesting the potentialities and to channelize in a proper way.
According to the Tripura Central University order, the department is entitled to offer B.A Honours and General degree courses in both odd and even semester system.
The department is permitted to intake 40 seats only for major and innumerable general seats. The intake capacity for major courses may increases with further notifications so as there may be limitations on the general courses.
- Any student passing H.S. (+2)/equivalent examination with at least 4 subjects including English from any recognized Board/Council will be eligible for admission to the 1st Semester of the B.A. (Honours/General) programme, subject to the availability of seats.
- No student will be allowed for admission in the 1st Semester course of studies after a lapse of 05(five) years from the year of passing of the previous qualifying examination.
- A candidate opting for Honours in any subject must have to obtain (a) 40% marks in aggregate and 45% marks in the subject in which she/he seeks Honours. OR (b) 35% in aggregate and 50% in the concerned subject in the H.S. (+2) examination. However selection of the student will depend on the availability of seats and their position in order of merit (based on aggregate of total marks obtained plus preferred subject for Honours)
- Any one securing at least 50% marks in aggregate will be eligible for taking Honours in a subject which she/he did not study in H.S. (+2) or equivalent examination, subject to restriction of combination as per university rules.
- A candidate who appeared but could not obtain pass marks in a particular subject in the H.S. (+2) examination will not be allowed to take that subject as an elective or Honours subject in the Degree Course. Honours will not be offered in a subject in which the candidate passed in Compartmental Exam.
- No student will be allowed to pursue more than one regular programmes simultaneously offered by Tripura University.
- A student will have to apply for University Registration in prescribed form within 30 days from last date of admission.
- Reservation for SC/ST/PWD (with 40% and above disability) will be governed by the State Govt. reservation policy. i.e., 31% seats reserved for ST, 17% for SC and 3% for PWD.
- The candidate who has passed in the previous years will not be given priority in merit list and will be treated as per norms.